January 30, 2011

Mr. Vicente Floriano Ribeiro





 It was a May Saturday afternoon in 2010, and I had just met Esther and Anna Devai in Sacramento. Anna and I were talking over lunch when she started talking about Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. (All who know Anna know it's one of her favorite topics)

 'You do know Fred Astaire, right?' she asks me confident in my knowledge. 'No?' I say without so much as a clue to whom she is referring to. She gasps. And that is how I was introduced to the wonderful Vintage Era. Ever since then I have been trying to extend my possessions of Vintage doodads.  Hymnals, speech books, records, etc.

 But my favorite possession isn't a doodad, or object, but reality. Literature and other material possession dating to the 1930's can all be taken away from me at any moment. But my favorite Vintage relic, is something or rather someone, that can't be taken away from my history or past. Ever.

 My great-grandfather. Mr. Vicente Floriano Ribeiro.

 Born in 1915 my great-grandfather was in his teens when the 30's came around. Going on 97 years of age this November, my great-grandfather can still read without his glasses, loves having his picture taken, and warmly tolerates his great-grandchildren. My great-grandfather, although not a sharer of my faith, is someone I admire. He's been through a lot, including 2 World Wars, but that's only made him stronger.

 We visited him again last year, and when we arrived he was in his wheel chair reading a book with just the sunlight pouring in from the patched porch roof. He gets up, hugs us, and walks over to his walker, and asks us how we're doing.

 My great-grandfather, Vicente Floriano Ribeiro, was a strong man in his youth, is a strong reality today, and forever will be a strong memory of my childhood. I know I'm lucky and blessed to have all four of my grandparents alive and well, and extraordinarily blessed to have one living great-grandfather. I know this. And don't ever plan to take it for granted. Although I can't spend as much time with them as I want to, I try to make every moment of our company together count. If you have great-grandparents, grandparents, and especially parents, don't take them for granted! No matter what! Because someday, when they're not available anymore, then it might be to late to remind them how special they are. xxoo~'*

(Photo 1. - A wooden bench Great-grandfather made a few years back. Photo 2. - Great Grandfather && Grandmother in the Good Ol' Days)

2 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Hahaha I never saw this before :O LOL! I'm glad I introduced you to Freddy :D I think everyone should know about him! haha That is so cool about your great grandpa! I wish mine was still living :( And My great grandma died when I was a few days born :/ How depressing :(
    1915 though. WOW! Lucky him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you introduced me to Freddy too Anna!
    I'm sorry about your grandparents :( I only have this great-grandpa although I do vaguely remember my great-aunt. But like I said we still have our parents and grandparents to appreciate (:
    I knoow right! It's amazing to me! I mean 1915!!!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics