June 30, 2011

E is for Ethiopia:

Hey y'all,
So last week's post was an asset to Project Interviews, and guess what, this week's is another asset!
Taking three courses this week has made it fly by so fast. So.very.fast. This morning Victor was asking what day it was and when I said it was Thursday he replied, "It feels more like a Tuesday!" My thoughts precisely!
 Anyways, also taking a course with me, is Seventh Day Adventist, Becky over from the blog Rebecca's Reality!
On the first day of the course we were each asked to share something interesting about ourselves, and Becky mentioned her trip to Ethiopia. She was there for a few months, and had come back a month ago.
Needless to say, I was curious. I had questions to ask! So, I formulated an interview because, seriously, Ethiopia? You guys so want to hear about that too!
So without further ado:

LFA: Where exactly did you go in Ethiopia?

Becky: Well I flew in to the capital, Addis Ababa, but then we drove about 10 hours south to the Gimbi Adventist Hospital. For seven of those ten hours we drove on extremely rocky roads!

LFA: Why did you go there? Was it a mission trip, etc.?

Becky: I've always wanted to do a mission experience in Africa, and the opportunity came and I took it. Yes, it was a mission trip I did by myself. It wasn't with a group of people, in fact I only knew one person there.

LFA: What was your impression of the people/country in Ethiopia?

Becky: The people are very very personable. They're the kindest, most caring, most sincere people I have ever met. I'd never met people like them before. It doesn't mater if you're rich, you're poor, how much you have, what maters is your heart. They're always ready to go out of their way for you. They can have barely any food left, but if you visit them they want to give you what little they have. They're amazing!
The government doesn't treat them as well as they deserve, but things are calmer over there now.

LFA: What's something that you'll never forget from your experience there? Something that you think of when someone says Ethiopia?

Becky: Definitely the people. They survive in the most dire circumstances with nothing but Jesus. Their excitement to learn, their openness to the truth and Jesus. If they're believers they're excited about the truth, if they aren't yet believers they have an eagerness and openness to learn. It was a really refreshing experience.
To see them rally together to gather money to take a random stranger that was in an accident to the hospital. The way they care for each other no matter who the person is, how much they care for each other.
I loved having the opportunity to go to places where no one knew of Jesus, and sharing Him with them.
I'll also never forget the children. I couldn't go out into the streets without having at least twenty children trying to get close to me, trying to touch me, look into my eyes with their big smiling eyes, calling me "Frangie" Frangie". (Frangie-white person) And I'd tell them "No, I'm just one of you."
I'll never forget them.

LFA: Given the opportunity, would you go again?

Becky: Hands down. Absolutely. I'm planning to go again as soon as I get my nursing degree.
I want to be a Medical Missionary overseas, and by overseas I mean wherever God wants to send me. I'm totally willing to go to Ethiopia, anywhere else in Africa, because they really need help over there and almost no one else wants to go.

LFA: Do you recommend an experience like this?

Becky: Yes! Especially to young people that have just finished high school and aren't sure what they want to do yet. It completely changes your perspective on life, how you view things!

LFA: What was food/water like over there. Was it easy to be a vegetarian?

Becky: Oh yeah, the vegetables there are mainly what people grow on their farms, lentils, potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage. And I love potatoes, I could eat them every day, and they cook them all different ways. The fruits are mainly bananas, mangoes and in and out of season: pineapples, papayas, guava. Their avocados and pineapples are really small. I think it's because the land over there isn't very fertile or they don't get enough water. Everyone eats out of the same dish, and we all eat with our hands. It was pretty fun!

LFA: So Becky, what makes you, ... you? Different from your family, other people taking this course...?

Becky: Well from my family it's that I have red hair, but I guess from other people, it's that I have a deep compassion for people. People that are being wronged, not treated the way they should. I'm very sensitive to people's feelings, like I don't care what happens to me as long as I know someone is happy. Knowing someone is happy is my greatest joy.
Becky thanks so much for the interview! It was great meeting you guys, and it was fun doing these courses together, thanks for the help. God bless, and good luck with your NLS! Thanks again!

0 Wonderful people made my day!:

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics