December 14, 2011

My Dearest Catherine.

As much as we might hate to come right out and admit it, it's true- every girl has a dream of how her wedding day will be. When does this dream begin? Is it instinct? Is it something we're born with?
Perhaps, but most often, it begins on that first wedding. The first one they attend, the first one they're a part of. That's where it all began for me anyways, the first wedding I remember.
As a Preacher's kid, my father was constantly being called on to perform weddings. Many times I'd be requested to be the Bible girl. I have very sketchy memories of walking down the aisle balancing a Bible in my hands, a cheeky grin, and walking down the carpeted aisles. I couldn't trip. I knew better than that. The wedding, however, that by far sticks out in my mind, is my Uncle's wedding. I was five at the time, and I was to be the Bible girl. I remember the dress, my shoes, I remember almost everything.
I remember my five year old little brain whirling in awe at the reception table display, I remember my infatuation with the peach color scheme. I remember waking up on the big day and being so excited I wanted to leave for the wedding right away. I was in love with everything. All the girlyness (which lasted until the boys organized a game of tag outside in the dark, after the reception. (New record, my girlyness lasted that long.)
But what I most vividly remember is the strange thought that had cemented itself in my mind. Strange because I was five. Without question, I accepted it as a cold hard fact, that I wanted my wedding, exactly like theirs. I decided on the spot, I wanted peach colored decor, I wanted a sunset wedding, and a dress, exactly like my aunt's. Exactly. I wanted the sleeves to go down to my fingers, I wanted the lace, I wanted the transparency. I wanted that dress. It was settled. It wasn't as if I was planning a wedding, it just became part of me. Part of my "wedding" folder in my brain's memory. I didn't question why that files existed, nor do I remember forming it. (Can you tell I spend too much time on the computer?) Anyways, I never thought of it again.

My Uncle and Aunt in their wedding, 1999.

That is, except once.
Years later, I was in the library in Toronto, flipping through a few biographies I had to check out for a book report. I had raided the British Royal's section, and was holding in my hands several copies of Princess Di's biographies, and one of Grace Kelly. I wasn't so very interested in what the books had to say, (I have a short attention span when it comes to biographies), I was interested in the photographs. I plopped down in the corner of the aisle, and flipped through the pages from one photograph to the other. I arrived at Grace Kelly's wedding. Specifically a photo of her wedding dress.
And that my friends, was when I died, resurrected, bought a five cent copy of "The Royals" magazine at a garage sale, and became infatuated with lace wedding dresses. It was fully decided. Another photo was added to the "wedding" folder in my mind. And there it was allowed to gather dust .. until ..

                                            
... this summer there was a whole uproar about a certain royal wedding. I was excited, I was only three when Princess Di died, so I was excited about a new Princess. I liked Kate, and immediately loved her style sense. Naturally I was one of the thousands who were anxiously anticipating the dress. And what! did my curious eyes behold as she waved to the crowds from inside the car? 
Google Images.
The veil! The sleeves! The lace! I knew I liked her. I knew she had great taste. There, she's provided one more dress to add to my inspiration list! I didn't have the opportunity to watch the royal wedding live, it was Friday night, and honestly it was just way too late at night (or early in the dawn if you live in Vancouver). But this week mother brought home the DVD from the library, and we watched it. I was trembling in excitement, and drove Victor crazy with how many times I uttered how adorable Prince Harry is. (That little episode when Kate walks down the aisle and he whispers to William cracks me up every time.) Mother and I ooh-ed and ahh-ed over the dress, laughed at the hats, and my mind's made up about lace dresses.

The wedding dress folder has ample inspiration for me to draw from, the color scheme is decided, as is the preacher. Of course. Everything's ready.
The groom you ask? Oh ..
Oh, that's sort of important isn't it? Oh my. .. We'll have to work on that one.

P.S. As a little girl, did you have big ideas about that day too? Or did it never even cross your mind?
 

9 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. You have lovely taste in dresses:) Question: if your father is the preacher, who will walk you down the aisle? My wedding was nothing like what I had imagined it would be, when I was a child, but it was the best party I've ever been to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate did have a beautiful dress, didn't she? I don't really keep up with all that stuff, but my daughter and I watched the wedding coverage. I love that she looked so happy and confident on her day.

    As a kid, I didn't really have much experience with weddings, so I didn't really get into the details. When I learned to sew, though, I became a little bit obsessed with wedding patterns and bought several to blend together as my own dress. This was in the late 80s/early 90s, so they all had these huge puffy sleeves and I never did use them. But I remember dreaming over them and working out the designs on paper.

    This is such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cdnkaro: Thanks! Well see, that's one of the many advantages about being the preacher's kid. You can manipulate the ceremony to fit your needs. hehe, I can have someone else open the ceremony, he walks me down the aisle, instead of sitting somewhere, he proceeds to the behind the pulpit/alter/in front of us, whatever happens to be the case. :D
    Haha, that's great. Sometimes when things don't go as imagined they can turn out better.

    Shelby: Thanks!
    Ohhh! You can sew! I'm so envious! haha, you should see my mother's wedding photos (I believe there are a few in my post featuring their wedding) it had major poof! It's was cute.
    Did you sew your dress?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I wanted my wedding, exactly like theirs. I decided on the spot, I wanted peach colored decor..." Não só o casamento, mas a festa de 15 anos tbm neh?? rsrs

    vsgessner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had visions of having a wedding dress like Princess Diana....it was stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. vsgessner - hehe sim :D

    Carolina - I agree completely! Gorgeous. And was your wedding dress inspired by hers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was (and am) quite a tomboy and didn't give much thought to all the fancy, frilly wedding trappings, including the dress. I really would've liked to have gotten married barefoot in blue jeans in the woods behind my grandparents' house, but my mother insisted I do it "right" so we went to a shop. I tried on ONE dress--she told me it was "me" and we bought it on the spot. It was frilly, hoop-skirted, lots of lace and a satin bow at the neckline. Twenty-four years later, I STILL don't see how it was "me," but it made her happy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, "married barefoot in blue jeans in the woods" you know, that kinda sounds absolutely lovely! No hassle, no bustle, just focus on the actually important thing. The marriage itself.
    Haha well, I guess the important thing is that the Groom was right, and that you lived 'happily ever after.'
    The dress was just a bonus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought about it, other than knowing I wanted to get married some day! When I went to try on wedding dresses, I was overwhelmed. So many styles, so many choices! It was the early 90's and everything seemed sequined, puffy, and ornate, three things I am not a fan of.

    Then my Mom came to the dressing room holding a dress she'd found on clearance: off the shoulder, handkerchief hem, light weight cotton. Perfection! I had no idea what I was looking for, but my Mom had a pretty good idea of what I'd like. She was right (as usual!).

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics