December 13, 2011

Why Today is Awesome.

Victor and I are currently sharing a room. Not necessarily because we have to, the house has three rooms after all, but in Toronto it had been easier for Victor and I to share the large upstairs bedroom and use the downstairs bedroom as a visitor's room/office, so now Victor's quite partial to sharing a room and not being left alone in the dark. Don't worry, he'll be weaned off that as soon as we move into our new house.
Every night, before we turn off all systems and head straight to dreamland, Victor asks the three questions that have become somewhat of a nightly tradition. The questions are, "How was your day today?" "What did you like about it?" "What did you dislike about it?"
A few nights ago, during this time of night, the following dialogue occurred:
Me- "What about you? How was your day?"
Victor- "My day was awesome, 'cause I was in it ..and ... "
But I had stopped to focus on that one sentence. "My day was awesome, because I was in it."
It triggered my thinking, and I realized that that was not just a silly phrase. The kid was right!
Everyday should be awesome because we're in it. We have today, the present, this gift! Today can, and should be astounding, because it's ours to do with whatever we can do. We have a cheque for 86,400 seconds today. A cheque that will go to waste if we don't use it up today. We can never get it back, but we can invest it into the future. We can do awesome things with all those seconds. Whether it be getting things accomplished at work or at school, shopping, laundry, doing good to others, recovering from a cold, whatever we do with the time allotted us should be done with a thick layer of awesomeness. A thick layer of the best we've got. We have today! It's up to us how it turns out. Today is awesome! Because we are in it! Because we have today! If we give it all we've got, at the end of the day, we'll be able to say, "Today was awesome, 'cause I was in it."

Look at 'im. Can't you just see the wisdom seeping through that matted hair?


8 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Que saudade... Vc num tá querendo vir balançar nessa rede, não?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this! Such great thoughts.
    Here's a little something for you:
    http://peripheralimages.blogspot.com/2011/12/gift-of-lilacs.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadia - Saudade e oq nao falta .. dim dim no bolso sim ... hehehe

    S.Strauss - Again, thanks so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful perspective on things! I have afavour to ask, Larissa. I would like to follow your blog but have a difficult time keeping on top of reading blog posts that aren't delivered to my inbox. Would you consider adding a "follow by email" option to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's refreshing to see siblings who have such a great relationship. And, what a great outlook he has!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wise little guy! That made my heart smile today. Thank you for sharing (and please tell him thank you, too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure will .. it'll make him very happy to have gotten a shout-out! :D

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics