January 15, 2012

Banana Cake.

Is is still Sunday? Hope so. Today (tonight)'s post is a recipe. I never thought I'd make recipe posts, but I suppose you never know. Mother's not one to write down her recipes. She makes them all in her head...then just...you know...makes stuff. You know? I don't. I love following recipes. With painful exactness. Nope, won't be a chef. I can never come up with things on my own.
Anyways, she's great at coming up with new recipes, and this one she's stuck to for a while. Last week she made this banana bread that she calls banana cake and I'm not sure what to name it so it's --- Banana Bread - Cake (I'm biting my lips (fingertips) to control the urge to add a -thingy to the title.)
I don't always eat anything banana-y, but when I do, it's this. I love it, and it has even reached success with a few of my fellow banana disliking friends. Ladies, I give you:

Banana Bread - Cake

Ingredients:
2 very ripe bananas (think black spots)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tsp. granulated sugar (Sucanat)*
1 1/2 cup milk (soy milk)*
2 Tbsp. butter (earth balance)*
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
dash of salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚.
2. Grease baking dish with butter.
3. Slice bananas lengthwise twice, cutting bananas into three slices each.
4. In a small bowl, sift the two teaspoons of sugar with the cinnamon powder, set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients (minus cinnamon and sugar mix).
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until well moistened.
7. Pour batter into the greased dish.
8. Place the banana slices on top.
9. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top.
10. Bake at 350˚ for 35-40 min. until browned on top.
11. Let cool before serving.

*Ingredients in parenthesis can be substitutes in order to make recipe vegan.


Hope you try it out some time. It's a great recipe for when you have really ripe bananas, but lack the urge to eat them. Make banana bread - cake!
 

16 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Wow, Larissa - so pretty! I love that cinnamon is in this recipe...and that your mother made it up. Beautiful!

    Red Dirt Kelly
    http://www.reddirtchronicles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious, and I'm always looking for new recipes:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! I love how you can see all the tiny banana seeds! Great use for over ripe bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Thanks (: It was actually the photo that spurred me to write this post.

      Delete
  4. Yummy! I love banana bread, I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks AMAZING! I will try soon. Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Word Nerd.
      {I'll never get over how much I love your blog name.}

      Delete
  7. That photo is so excellent, I can almost SMELL it from here. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo is mouth watering...I love banana anything. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being there for me to share with, Tania.
      I hope you try it and like! :D

      Delete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics