January 4, 2012

Habits.

You have habits. So do I. I have many actually, and they're quite..eccentric.

One of these habits happens to be, the constant desire to be a source. What is that supposed to mean?
Well, everything I do, has to be my own, my work, mine. 
When I began blogging, the design had to be my  idea, the photos had to be my photography, the posts had to be mine own muses.

I unconsciously refuse to use other's work as my own. Which I suppose can be good, but there's nothing wrong at all with using a quote to aid your paragraph, or a credited photo on a post. But no. I'm stubborn.

There are those of us who promote other's works, and without these people, works would simply fade away. And there are those of us who produce something. I've always craved to be the one producing.

Sometimes, however, I am content to simply gather the sources in one spot, to form a collection of other's works. For example my Modern Modest Fashion Facebook page. I can't take photos required for the page, but I can do the work of surfing the web in order to come up with the best collections I can. Not someone else's collection. Mine own. Not someone else's ideas and suggestions, mine own.

Sometimes this goes to extremes. For example, Pinterest. Pinterest never really appealed to me because it was someone else's photos, being repined from someone else's boards! I humphed. Then I found out you could surf the web and add your own pins! Which is what I do. I can't bear to repin something. Unless I absolutely love it. I want to do it. On my own. I want to be the one whose pins others repin. I want the boards to be my own finds. Otherwise, I feel I'm cheating.

Extreme much? Nonsensical much? I know.

This turns up in most areas of my life, and it reached into the gym. I don't use protein shakes no matter how frequently and long I hit the gym, nor how many times my uncle (his job involves fitness, and protein shakes and what not) insists it's not cheating, or that I need it. Nope. I'm stubborn. I will gain results out of my own hard work, not some silly drink thingy. (Deep down I do realize this is quite silly, and if you use protein shakes, bear with me and my silliness and think no more of it. Please.)

When I went to the gym the first few times, I was completely lost. What am I doing here again? I hated the treadmill. It made me feel like a hamster, running running, and not getting anywhere. But instead of asking for help, or a personal trainer, or anything really, I tried to figure everything out on my own. And for a while it was satisfactory, until I decided I wanted results, and I wanted them now! In 2012!

So last year, (sounds cooler than saying last week), I gave in. I admitted I'm clueless and have no idea how to build a fitness schedule/plan. So I found one. On Pinterest, (I know. Of all places for me to trust). But I'm giving it a go.

I began on Monday, and thought to myself, "This will be so easy, I mean, seriously, the workouts are so short and simple!" I could totally do this. I didn't even spend more than five minutes warming up.

Apparently my body isn't quite used to actual, focused workouts. It let me know that really really quick. Monday night I was walking around, as Victor said, "Like a crab." I was sore. Really really sore. Tuesday I barely moved, grimaced with every squirm, and oh if you touched me! But I did Tuesday's workout anyway. No gain without pain, right? Today I'm still quite sore. But it'll get better, it'll get easier. Especially because I'll warm up from now on!

One of the items on my bucket list was "Walk a day like Charlie Chaplin." Too bad it wasn't "Walk a day like someone who'd been run over by a delivery truck, battered by a bull (ohhh alliteration! High five me!), and then trampled thoroughly by a train, (when I start I can't stop), or I would be able to cross that off the list already.

If you'd like to see the workouts, just go to my Pinterest, click on the Motivation | Inspiration board, and look for the workouts with days of the week on them. They look easy don't they?

 

9 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. I have the same perspective as you, Larissa, as far as wanting to provide content myself, as opposed to curating it from different places. At the same time, I do enjoy looking at other people's collections of photographs on blogs and such. I am too afraid to step into Pinterest.....there is so much there! I don't have that kind of time!

    I will check out your workout schedule, I'm in the market for something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my own photos except when I'm doing a product review or spotlighting an artist or photographer (I always ask the artist permission). But those reviews are still my own work. It is sharing my interpretation, taste and community with my readers, it is my own feature articles. It takes an effort to track down products and artisan which would make good features, to come up with a good concept and write my review. I am constantly on the lookout.

    I do not like blogs which post elle decor images and then say "I love a black & white room!". It is a copyright violation..it's not right. Via pinterest ticks me off too, pinterest is not the source of that wonderful image such and such a blogger decided to share...it's wrong.

    I love pinterest because it's inspiring. I don't think of my boards as my work but more as mood boards. Pretty images that made me feel something. Inspiring images and words can spin your mind off into many wonderful creative directions...it doesn't have to be literal interpretations, it could be the mood or color even that send you off into your own wonderful imagination.

    For the protein...NY Times published an article back that said for your body to build muscle, it needed a certain combination of protein and carbs within 30 minutes of working out. So, I wouldn't think of it as cheating but more as fuel for your body to build off of all that hard work you did. I can't wait to check out your motivation board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffanie - Yes! I love seeing other's works, it's inspiring! I just don't like borrowing it, their work inspires me to make up mine own! :D
    I know! It sucks up so much time and you barely notice it! They have some great finds there though, for fitness and such. :) Hope you like.

    Tania - I've never done reviews of other's products, there I suppose it'd be inevitable unless you have the product and take a photo of it yourself.

    One of the reasons I dislike using other's works is that it's not always easy to find the source. Sometimes you go to the link on pinterest, but that's no the original source. And even quotes, can sometimes be attributed to five different people, and you can't know for sure who wrote/said such things.

    I like to think my boards took effort to collect, and therefore are "my own" little collection. The photos and content might not be mine, but the bringing together of things is. Some boards are random, and uninspiring to me, and some that the pinner took time to put together, inspire me ten times more. *shrugs*

    I know. I know. Mu uncle, as I said, works with these products, he knows them like the back of his hand, he's told me this a billion times, but every time has simply been left shaking his head. Like I said, I know it's silly. I'll get over it sometime.

    Hope you like the board. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are like the coolest high-schooler ever! You are really going places - So talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larissa, you are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - Aww Thanks, means so much tome to hear (read) you say (type) that. (:

    Judy - *blushes* Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had the same crab walk after beginning a workout session after a long hiatus! Stick with it though, my friend, you'll be glad you did! I'm ok with quotes and other content being shared, with the caveat that credit MUST be given to the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I have to PIN. I love PINNING. I love stealing photos and adding to my board. I even had some of my own (I totally get you there).

    I've been training for a 5K and it has been tough. I was a lot faster 50lbs lighter. UGH. The 5K is this Saturday and now I have printed off a walk/run training for a half marathon. I must be nuts!

    Sounds like that workout WORKED. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No kidding! Really?! A 5K? I can't run for five minutes without being all out of breath. (I can sprint, give it all I've got for short periods of time, but endurance? Forget it. Totally lacking.)
    You're not nuts. You just know you can do it! Make us all proud and be sure to tell us how it goes! :) Good luck!
    Yes it's working. I'm happy! Thanks Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics