January 26, 2012

How to Wear a Scarf - A Tutorial.

Ants have infested Victor's room. He's vacuuming them away. Over the loud groans of the vacuum is heard an evil "Muahahahaha." I think Victor's feeling powerful.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I never considered myself a scarf person. Never. I thought it had no purpose other than keeping me warm, but then it would simply became a nuisance as soon as I stepped outside and began a snowball fight, skiing, building a snowman, and the heat became unbearable. Off went the scarf, wet mittens, all three pairs of socks, all into a heap of soaked annoying winter accessories. And they were ugly.

Then, I was given this scarf.


One year in Ontario, the church youth group was going to perform a winter concert. We were given uniforms- this scarf was included.

I wore it the night of the concert, then it was hidden in the back of my closet for a while. Why? Probably because it is a full six feet long [without counting the little braids at the ends] and 2.4 feet wide. It was quite awkward to wrap it around my neck a few hundred times. I ended up looking like a face poking out of a massive cloth mountain.
Like That ^
 Then the ends would keep falling and I'd strangle myself trying to make the scarf tight enough so the ends would stay. It was chaos, so I didn't bother.

But I did like it. It has sparkle, but not too much, and it's pretty, but also useful in that it is warm. So this winter, I managed to find a way to wear it.

It's not my idea, but I thought I'd share it with you because it's now my favorite way to tie a scarf, and saved me from committing further fashion faux pa like in the above photo.

Step One - [If you have a large scarf like mine, fold it in half.] [If you haven't yanked the tag off yet, fold it in.]


Step Two - [Or Step One if you have a 'normal' scarf] Put it into a U shape.


Because I can, a lot of things in my life, [yes even tying scarves], can lead to stories- fiction or true. So to help me explain to you this tutorial, I'll be making it a story.

"Once Upon a Time, in ScarfAway Land, "


{Set the scarf into a Smiley Face shape.}

"There lived to scarf ends, named Cleo{Left} and Patrick{Right}."

     
{Cross both scarf ends. Make sure to not make the circle to small but not too big either.}
"One day, Patrick had to leave to the Lower Mainland of ScarfAway Land! Both he and Cleo cried pitifully, for they were to be parted."

{Cross Top Right Scarf End (Patrick) to Lower Left.}

"Then, much to their happiness, it was decided that Cleo was to join Patrick in the Lower Mainlands!"

{Cross Top Left End to Lower Right.}

There they lived Happily Ever After!
The End
{Of the Story.}


{Now, pull the "Cleo" end underneath the circle of the scarf, as in the picture.
Lift the scarf and place your head through the circle!}

{Wear It!}

Reasons I love this method of scarf tying:
  • If you [or any little hands] pull on the ends, you won't choke.
  • It makes my loowwnnng scarf, a joy to wear and not a nuisance.
  • It's prettay!!
  • I can sit, jump, run, be active, and it won't come undone. Yet when I want it off, I just have to slip it off.
Try it sometime, and tell me how it goes!

P.S. Click Here for the original post. You might understand more from their tutorial. 

 

23 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. I have never considered myself a scarf person, but I really like the way this looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D
      I tried this one day when I felt I needed a sensible accessory, and then I fell in love and always wear it.

      Delete
    2. I tried it today with a scarf I love but have never figured out how to wear and I got so many compliments. Thank you!!

      Delete
    3. :D That's so great to hear Michelle! So glad it worked, and thanks for commenting back!

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOSH!! Your Patrick and Cleo faces and story CRACKED me up!!! LOL! I love that you show how to do this. Someone showed me once before, but I FORGOT. Not that it is EVER cold enough to wear a scarf here. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Glad you liked the silliness, hehe
      Well, it can also be done to scarves that are thinner lighter. Or maybe when you come visit up North!

      Delete
  3. I actually have never seen this method of tying a scarf...I can't wait to try it, I'm always throwing my scarf back around my neck and it drives me nuts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to drive me nuts too! Which is why I ended up trying this one out! Hope it works for you too! :D

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial! I enjoy knitting and wearing scarves and shawlettes and have had many people ask how to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolina! Now you can tell them how :D

      Delete
  5. I love it! I have several pretty scarves that I've bought in various places, one being Egypt, because I see women wearing them and think they look fabulous, and I want to look like that too. Then I try, and fail miserably. Every single time. So they decorate a box in my closet. But you have given me the confidence to try again- thanks Larissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O An Egyptian scarf! Wow! I'd love to see that.
      I used to "want to look like that too" but I never bothered buying new scarves because none of the ones I had worked for me..Now I'm ready to buy some more and get more adventurous!

      Glad I helped! You'll look wonderful!

      Delete
  6. I love it fabulous story and now i won't look so lame in my scarf's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks! And I'm sure you'll look stunning!

      Delete
  7. That scarf's a beauty! I love scarves and have a ton. A lightweight scarf is actually perfect in Hawaii to fight off AC chills at work or when you go to a movie.

    Love the tutorial too, have a nice weekend Larissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this method - it looks so put together! Also love you little story - could totally be the beginnings of a children's book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Things like that pop into my head on a day to day basis. It's what it's like living with myself 24/7.

      Delete
  9. I have a very similar scarf that I received as a gift. I shall have to try this posthaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are adorable.

      Delete
    2. Do do try! Then let me know how it worked out! :D

      *blushes*

      Delete
  10. My reading of this is a weird coincidence of timing--as I just left the grocery store (of all places) where I saw a brand new display of locally made gorgeous scarves and thought to myself, "Those are fantastic, but I could never pull them off."

    Also, three weeks ago a cashier at the same grocery store who always wears the most gorgeous and seemingly expertly-tied scarves had the end of the scarf she was wearing get sucked down into the mechanism that moves the black belt the groceries travel on toward the register. There was panic and gasping, but a quick-thinking customer shut off the belt and the scarf was untangled with no permanent damage to the cashier. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word!

      I shouldn't have giggled. I really shouldn't have. But since she was alright, my imagination made it a little too comical. I would so have that happen to me if I were in her place. Happenings like that persecute me.

      Anyways, if you do try this method out, please do tell me how it goes. :D

      Delete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics