January 28, 2012

The Toonie*.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" - Matthew 7:7

Growing up in a Christian home, Christian books were widely and readily available.
One of my favorite collections, was Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories. Every book contains true stories, each with a moral. Children from all over the world would send stories via letters to Uncle Arthur, and he'd publish them in his books.

Countless stories revolve around children who ask God for help to find a lost pet, to heal a loved one, for help getting out of a tight situation, etc. Be it big things, or small things, the children in the stories would always take their desires to God, and He'd listen to them every time.

One particular evening, when I was around the age of twelve, mother took Victor and I to run errands with her around town. As I put on my jacket, I reached into my pocket and felt a toonie*. I was happy, I had found money in my pocket! I kept it in my pocket and would constantly check if it was still there.

Our first stop was the local shoe store, it was small, and we were soon on our way to our second stop. As we entered the second store, I reached into my pocket and realized I had lost my toonie*. Somehow, between jumping around, reaching in and out of pockets, my toonie* had dropped out of my jacket.

While walking around in the second store, I decided I'd try my very own attempt at a "Bedtime Story". If God answered all the prayers of all those kids in the stories, why wouldn't He answer mine? In the stories He'd answered prayers for much bigger things, He could surely help me find my toonie*, right?

I remembered someone had once told me, that God answers our prayers if we have faith He will do so, and I believed God would help me find my coin. It wasn't so much for the money value, I had no need of it, but I wanted to see if the God who answered the prayers of the children in the stories, would do the same for me.

I asked God to help me find my coin. I knew it had to be in the last store we had been in, so all He had to do, was keep it there for me until I got back, and found it. I asked my mother if we could go back to the previous store we'd been in because I had lost my toonie* and I wanted to look for it. She agreed, and soon we were back in the shoe store.

I walked down the carpeted aisles, and searched for my coin. I couldn't find it anywhere, but I knew I couldn't give up until I had looked in every corner. I walked down the last aisle, pushed a few purses aside, and there, pushed aside in the corner, was my toonie*. Safe, hidden, and sound. I reached down, placed it back in my pocket and skipped back out the store and into the car.

I had done my part in praying, I had done my part in believing, God was faithful in doing His part in fulfilling.

Sure it was a simple experience. I wasn't in dire need, nor in danger, nor anything else remotely drastic. But that one episode, has helped me realize, that God is a God of big things, as well as a God of details. Nothing is too big for Him, and nothing is too small for Him.

Since then I've learnt that when we ask God, in faith, He will always answer. Sometimes He says "Yes", sometimes He says "No", and sometimes, sometimes He says "Wait." But, if we're willing to bring all our burdens to Him, God will always answer our prayers.

*A toonie is a Canadian coin with the value of two Canadian dollars.
 

12 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Thanks for this post today! You wouldn't believe how this simple story has spoken to me. Pray, believe and be thankful....Stopping by from BlogFrog by the way. www.questofthenocturnalbaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed. It means so much to me to have you say that. (:
      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. "God will always answer our prayers." This is a comfort that I cannot live without. I have extremely dear and loyal people in my life, but none of them ALWAYS, without a doubt, no exceptions keep their promises. Only One in my life does that. It boggles my mind and brings me constantly to my knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's definitely awesome [comforting] to know He'll always be there for us; and it always humbles me.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful story, and a lovely reminder to keep sight of what is truly important. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. He does always answer our prayers. He always knows what is best for us too. This is a great story! Thanks for sharing. And congrats on your feature, I posted a comment over there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really really excited to get featured! :D
      Thanks so much for stopping by there, and leaving some love.

      Delete
  5. Amen! Prayers work, one way or another, they do work. God may answer today, tomorrow, but he does answer our prayers, in HIS own way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice story Larissa. Prayer does work - it has been scientifically proven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayer and faith....two of the best words ever. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps the most powerful knowledge we can have is that God loves us and is aware of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a happy ending and even more so love a life lesson hidden in an ordinary moment.

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics