February 4, 2012

Just a Thought.

No story for today. This week's Narrative  and Book Review took up all my stories and writing for this week. Sad. I know. I'm sorry.

Instead, I'd like to share a quote I came across today. Not for the first time, but I had it saved somewhere, and although I'm generally an organized person, quotes, writings, and loose leaf papers are my Achille's heel. I can't seem to organize them- which is fine with me, because then I find these gems at the randomest and awesomest moments.

"Much unhappiness results from our inability to remember the nice things that happen to us."
- W. N. Rieger

Most often than not, we forget the good, remember the bad- or worse, we allow ourself to muse the bad over and over until we've scrutinized every single detail, until we can feel the hurt, the pain, the anger keenly and deeply all over again. We allow it to grow bigger and bigger. The more we dwell on the bad, on the ugly, it gradually hyperbolizes until it's something that takes up our whole. 

We are so ready to focus on the negative that we allow it to wipe out the faint memories of the good in life. We are so prone to complain about the time God didn't answer our prayers the way we wanted Him to, that we forget to praise Him for the times He exceeded our expectations, the times He's been there for us answering prayers we hadn't even known to pray.  

One day it'll be shown to us how many times God has sent angels to our rescue when we weren't even aware we needed help- instead, we complain about trifles in comparison.

Maybe we should take time to praise more often. Maybe we should try to be more prone to have thankfulness escape our lips than curses. Maybe we should try to remember the nice things that happen to us, and be so busy with those memories, that we have no time to reach far back and remember the bad things that might so easily cloud our thoughts. Maybe we should thank more often.

Just a thought.

8 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Love this, Larissa! Did you know that your brain can't tell the difference, chemically, between having a bad experience and then repeating the bad experience through telling, dwelling and whatnot? So by ruminating on these things, we are putting our bodies through the ordeal over and over again. Silliness when you think about it. Love this post. Lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that and thank you for sharing!

      And it is silliness, and not a good silliness either.

      Thank you. Means a great deal to me. (:

      Delete
  2. Great post and reminder! How are you so insightful?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ann, I'm not really. These are just thoughts that pop into my head occasionally.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Larissa, thank you! It is true that it's easy to forget the good when in the midst of difficult times, but one part of what you wrote spoke to me in particular: that prayers we didn't even know to make are answered. There have been months when, by all accounts, we should not be able to make ends meet. And yet something always happens to ensure that we do. I know that we are being looked out for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's such a comfort isn't it. (: Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. I think it'll be eye opening to see how many times He stepped in. A good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something that speaks deeply to me. I've struggled with a tendency toward negativity for most of my life and have to remind myself constantly (and seize upon outside reminders, such as this post) to focus on the blessings and my deep gratitude for them.

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics