February 13, 2012

Magnum Opus.


Life.

Weird. It's just a word and yet a billion thoughts can pop into your head when someone says it. Or sometimes, nothing pops up at all. Everything just goes blank.

Someone once said "It's a funny thing...life." And that someone is right. Life is odd. It's something God started, and will someday end, but the in between is up to us. Sure, God has His plan for the in between, but if we choose to follow that plan is all up to us.

Life is also a story that must be written, by you, or by whomever you allow to write it. It's a story that's up to you to make sure the narration is worth it.

It's also a masterpiece. But the thing is, it's a pretty big masterpiece. Huge actually. And right now, today, is a brushstroke. Let me explain.

When someone sits down to paint, he takes out the canvas, a brush and paint, then he touches the canvas in five seconds, snaps his finger, and voila! There is his masterpiece, there is his Mona Lisa, there is his pride and joy! Right?! ... You're right, I'm wrong*. Let me try again.

When someone sits down to paint, he takes out the canvas, various tools in the form of brushes, paints, easels, then labors over it for hours, days, months, tries again several times, agonizes over it, brushstroke by brushstroke. Am I closer to reality this time?

Here's what I'm trying to get at. Let's say we did choose to follow God's plan for our lives. Lots of times we are left wondering "What is God's plan for my life? Why? Why am I here anyways?" It's a valid question. We pray and ask God to do with our lives His will, and to show us what His will is. Then, we open our eyes, get up from our knees, and ask ourselves "Mm-kay, now what?"

Understandably, we may expect a whiteboard with our future and past described, explained, and foretold, to drop out of the heavens. But that doesn't always happen, does it. In fact I've never heard of that happening.

So let's look at this in a different way shall we?

Think of every day of our lives, as God's immediate plan. Today is His plan for you. The things you have to do today, is His plan for you. Yes, taking out the trash is His plan. Washing the dishes is His plan. Everything He sets before us to do each day, that is His plan! To us it may seem trivial and unimportant, but remember, each brushstroke is vital. If we leave a stroke undone, our masterpiece will not be finished.

In the end, all it really comes down to is trust.

Trust that today, is part of the magnum opus. Trust that everything set out for you today has a place in tomorrow's grand result. Trust.

This is often as easily done as said. I think sometimes, we humans, after a certain age, tend to make things more complicated than they really are. Trust shouldn't take energy, stress, nor should it make us worry about trusting.

When children trust, they rest, they smile, they have peace, they are contented, they do not go around nagging themselves, "I've got to trust, I've got to trust, I've got to believe." They simply, do. Then they don't even think about it anymore. 

We say it comes naturally to them, maybe it comes naturally to us as well. Maybe we simply obsess about trusting fully or trusting perfectly, that we put to much emphasis in how to trust, instead of putting the emphasis in simply letting go.

Take it a day at a time. That's all we're granted right? A day at a time. Let's not get ahead of ourselves in our worries about what this all amounts to. Let us just trust, and take today, chew it carefully, savor it. Tomorrow will be eaten up in it's own time. Let's just live today shall we?

We are put on earth for a reason, for a purpose. To become masterpieces. The thing is, we can't see that masterpiece.Today what God's plan for you is, is to live today. Today see, is a brushstroke in the masterpiece your life is to become.


*To me paintings are MonetHassamRockwellSargent, as opposed to "The Red Dot."

17 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. You're really a wise old grandmother pretending to be a teenager, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Oh Judy, not really. I've yet ways to go before I'm wise.

      Delete
    2. That you realize that is wise in itself. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hear, hear. What Judy said. Truly, you have wisdom beyond your years. Your post was a masterpiece and is serving a wonderful purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well written meditation, Larissa. And yes, how the heck old are you anyway? Your writing is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost eighteen. Ok, not quite. There are still quite a couple of months 'till then. So I'm seventeen. And thank you so very much.

      Delete
  4. So very true. Live for today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good lesson today! I often catch myself wishing away winter or chores and I try and stop myself because like you said everything is an important brushstroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Sometimes the rough patch will make for a prettier picture too. As long as we endure through His grace.

      Delete
  6. I was just talking about trust to a friend the other day. Trust is SO hard for me. I did not grow up in a loving home full of God's wisdom and guidance. I didn't trust anything for a long time. But he is GOOD and what he brought me through and to is JUST AMAZING. I love the way you put this. It is a great encouragement. LIVE....LOVE...TRUST and give the glory of a beautiful masterpiece to God. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can help you trust, Angelia. Mark 9:24

      Delete
  7. Well-put as always, Larissa.

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics