March 3, 2012

Geckos.


Geckos. They are quite..disgusting in my opinion. They have the stickiest tongues, slimiest eyes, mocking grins, and cold thin skin.

When father was growing up, in Brazil, he often passed by his grandmother's house to visit with her for a while. Behind her house, there was a small, wooden, three sided shed where great-grandmother washed her clothes.  The wood, however, was so old and worn that it had grayed to a silvery white. In between the wooden boards in that shed there lived a family of geckos.

Geckos are fairly common in tropical countries like Brazil, and oftentimes they would crawl onto porches and ceiling rafters of houses. There they lounge and sunbathe during the day, and catch bugs and spiders during the night.

Years later, father was visiting a family, and as he sat in their living room, he noticed that on the white ceiling above there were geckos. Very many geckos. They started fighting with each other and every once in a while one would get knocked off the ceiling and father would hope they wouldn't land on his head.

Besides being ugly, geckos have another quality. They change colors to camouflage with their surroundings. (Yes, geckos. Yes, chameleons do too.) The geckos living in great-grandmothers' shed were gray. The ones on the ceiling were white. If the gecko's home is brick, they become a reddish brown, if their home is foliage they turn green, if where they live is white they become almost transparent and you can see their little organs. Depending on their habitat, geckos change. They blend in.

In a way, we are much like geckos aren't we? Whatever we feed into our brains, whatever we allow ourselves to absorb, whatever we surround ourselves with, we become like.

What we read, what we watch, what we listen to, where we go, it'll all have an impact on our future and on the persons we will become. Which is, I believe, why Apostle Paul thoughtfully advised, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Good advice isn't it?

Let's surround us with what will aid us in becoming the people we want to become, or better yet, the people God has planned for us to become. People that will bring glory, praise, and honor to His name, and in the process lead a life fulfilling and happy.

"O be careful little eyes what you see...
O be careful little ears what you hear...
O be careful little hands what you do...
O be careful little feet where you go...
O be careful little mouth what you say..."

10 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Infinitely Wise Larissa, this was so so true. I suspect that's part of why I surround myself with caring, thoughtful, intelligent bloggers- like you. Hoping some will rub off on me. Or at the very least that I'll blend in:) p.s. Have you heard of the comedian Danny Bhoy? He has a hilarious skit about a gecko. I'm far too lazy to google it, but if you find a spare moment, you should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you all are too good to me. Thank you.

      I've never heard of Danny Bhoy, but I will definitely check him out ASAP. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. It is so cool the way lizards can do that! and thanks for the very good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like geckos. Although, I wouldn't like any creature falling on my head. What a great piece of wisdom. You totally hooked me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geckos give me goosebumps, and not the good kind. *shivers*
      I'm glad you liked it. (:

      Delete
  4. My girls and I were just studying about being young women that God wants them to be. What a great reminder of how we can go about this. I will read this little devotion to them at breakfast, before they head off into the world! Okay...before they go off to middle school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so flattered Lynnie! I hope they like it. (:
      Thanks so much for stopping by and staying! I'm over the top delighted!

      Delete
  5. Very good advice, as always, Larissa. I also wanted to say, I just had a chance to read your Leap Blog post over at Nicole's and enjoyed that very much as well. I remember once writing a journal entry about my overthinking before doing problem and it went something along the lines of "Not only do I look before I leap, I need to know exactly what surface I will be landing on, the prevailing wind conditions, the mathematical likelihood of every conceivable outcome, etc, etc." DO is simple but smart advice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you MM. I'm so glad you liked both posts. It totally makes my day when all of you wonderful writers take time to appreciate my thoughts. Thank you ever so much.

      Delete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics