April 1, 2012

But Who's Counting.

It's been twenty-two years. Plus three weeks and one day.

Since what?

Since that beautiful March day in 1990. The day the church was decorated, the guests filled its aisles, the bridesmaids and groomsmen walked down the aisle, then he did arm in arm with his mother. Then she, with that wonderful smile lighting up her face daintily made her way to him. I wasn't there. I'd come onto the scene a couple of years later.

For now, their young lives were intertwining, two as one so that their happiness would be multiplied and their griefs divided. For now, something sacred and unique was begun- their marriage- sacrifices, laughter, stories, experiences side by side. For now, they were given responsibilities towards each other. For now, vows were made.

When I came into this story, these kids had grown up and created a wonderful little nest. Safe, loving, comforting...

All throughout my time in this story, I have observed nothing but happiness multiplied, and griefs divided. I have observed something sacred and unique- their marriage-sacrifices, laughter, stories, experiences side by side. I have observed responsibilities towards each other met, and vows being fulfilled.

And for this. I have no words to express my gratitude.

For the example. For the love that overflows from both of you onto Victor and I. Sermons on marriage may be effective. Books on the subject may be helpful. But to witness a happy marriage daily, to grow up in a home with such a blessing, is something irreplaceable.

And for this. I have no words to express my gratitude.

For the inkling of hope that you ignite, that someday, somewhere, both Victor and I will each find someone with whom we will each be able to experience what you have. Then we will implement all the little things we take note of each day, consciously or not. We do, you know. Take mental notes. And you've provided nothing but the best.

And for this. I have no words to express my gratitude.

The weekend of your anniversary, I had my Standard Achievement Test. On our way across the border, the officer asked us where we were going, "Kent." Dad answered. The officer looked up, "Kent? Why are you going to Kent? Nobody goes to Kent."

I'll tell you who goes to Kent. Parents. Never mind it was their anniversary. Never mind it was their weekend. They are parents. Parents sacrifice, parents love just as couples sacrifice, and couples love.

And for this. I have no words to express my gratitude.

Happy Really Belated Anniversary my cutie pattoties!


 

13 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Larissa, we are all blessed by your parents' union so many years ago - because now we all get to be part of your beautiful and inspiring life :). Thank your parents for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Judy! And I sure will. (:

      Delete
  2. Aww! I often wish my children could have been at my wedding (especially my daughter) - but of course they were only our future dreams then! Those of us who grew up in happy homes do have a lot to be thankful for! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wish I had been there...but in a way, I'm glad I'll just plan for their milestone anniversaries. (All of them are, yet some are even more)

      Delete
  3. You've captured their love (and the love all married couples should have) so well. What a lovely tribute. You and your brother are so blessed, and your future families will be, as well, because of your parents example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jewels. (:

      And I agree, we are very blessed indeed.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Larissa and Victor for being a part of our happiness, and also for the beautiful post that, of course, made us very proud of your writing.
    Who goes to Kent for their anniversary? We go to Kent on our anniversary and take our kids with us because in every occasion we celebrate together. By the way congratulations on your SAT scores.You are a very determined girl!
    Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely writing, and I totally agree that nothing beats witnessing a real happy marriage!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on this tribute to your parents. You're right in that a good example is the best lesson. The photo is adorable, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics