April 29, 2012

Curiouser and Curiouser.


The Stranger

"For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction."
-Lord Byron

“Now they were as strangers; nay worse than strangers, for they could never become acquainted.” 
― Jane AustenPersuasion

 The word stranger is never limited to only one definition. For example, stranger is a person we have yet to meet; stranger is an emotion unknown to us; stranger describes something compared to a less foreign something else; stranger is a person we have known; stranger is an emotion we have felt, but who has left and in its wake is a deafening unfamiliarity. 

 Stranger is the cashier who you pass by every week, who hears unconscious thank-you's and who returns each automatic smile with one of her own, day in and day out. Stranger is the person on their cellphone scurrying past you on the sidewalk. Stranger is the person who lets you in to traffic. Stranger is the person causing the traffic. 

 Stranger is daily responsibility after a month's vacation, quiet after the birth of children, extra money during college, love in war, and hunger after a lunch at grandma's. 

 Stranger is that person you used to know, used to have memorized, and is now changed and only a silhouette of a memory. Stranger is that feeling of security and carefreeness that belongs to our early years. 

 Stranger is the recognition of the fact that tomorrow we'll look back and realize that today is one of those early years in which we had less responsibilities and cares. Stranger is the thought that tomorrow we'll look back and realize we really didn't need to worry so much.

 Stranger is cold hard reality. Fiction and the supernatural are easy to accommodate. Oftentimes reality is stranger, more complicated, and harder to accept. 

 Stranger is all these things and more. What's Stranger to you?


This post was based on Word Nerd's GBE 2 prompt for this week. Check it out.

10 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. To me, stranger is the thought that you are so young. Your writing has so much talent and intelligence and maturity. That line- "stranger is an emotion we have felt, but who has left and in its wake is a deafening unfamiliarity"- pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the young part, Jewels. I never cease to be amazed at the wisdom and writing skills that this young lady displays on a regular basis. I often leave here in awe.

      Delete
    2. You guys humble me and all this flattering makes me all teary-eyed. Thank you. (:

      Delete
  2. "Stranger is responsibility after a month's vacation" - - I WANT A MONTH'S VACATION!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I remember those, Judy. .. I miss them, I really do.

      Delete
  3. Such a cool post and writing exercise! I think I would like to take a word and try this - I'm inspired - did you get this one from that word generator site too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ann, no these are from Word Nerd's GBE2. She gives a word for us to write about each week. Here, check out the link: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2012/04/gbe-2-blog-on-week-50-stranger.html it's really cool!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes, even at this late date, when I've had so much time to get to know myself, "stranger" is me and my own motivations, emotions, etc which still get the better of me far too often. Thanks for this thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, Masked Mom. But I do believe sometimes it can be fun to discover this Stranger, and get to know her.. (:

      Delete
  5. I love how you explored this one! Stranger, to me, is an opportunity to discover or reestablish connections. :O)

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics