April 17, 2012

Earrings.

 I really don't remember how I got there. It was one of those, blog post leads to a comment that links to a blog that has a link to a site, type thing, you know? Anyways, all I know is I ended up seeing this.

 Huh. Looked like fun. Curiosity made me click, what would my word be?

Click on Photo for Source!
 My word, was earring. [Apparently the site likes that word. I've clicked on it again, and all I've gotten
was earring.] So this is what I wrote, in sixty seconds, and then a couple more...

 Earring. When mother was younger she babysat a little girl. This little girl wore earrings. One day, mother covered her with her little blanket and put her down for a nap. But the little girl was restless and she pulled and tugged on the blanket and somehow it got tangled in her earring. She finally settled down and slept, but during her sleep, she yanked on the blanket, and the earring flew off somewhere. Mother looked and looked for it high and low, but the earring was small, and she never found it.

 The baby girl's mother became quite upset when she found out her daughter's golden earring was missing. So she never brought the little girl back for my mother to take care of. Time passed, and one day, as grandma cleaned the top of an olden wooden wardrobe chest in the room, she found the tiny jewelry piece.

 When I think of earrings, I remember my doll, Giselle. She came with earrings, but I took them out, yet her ears are still pierced, of course. When I think of earrings, I remember mother telling me about the earrings she had had when she was a baby, and how she had kept them and would have shown them to me, if it hadn't been for thieves who had broken into my parent's home when they were newlyweds. When I think of earrings, I remember as a little girl, staring at mommy's pierced ears, and gently fingering the small holes. I remember watching in awe as she took a thin needle and pushed it through the hole to it through; it gave me goosebumps. When I think of earrings, I remember Clair's

"Free ear piercing!*"*with purchase of earring $25 

sign at the mall. It never ceases to amaze me, how many memories one word can stir up. Do you have any memories linked to earrings?


21 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. I need to get my ears re-pierced :) And yes, a simple word can conjure up so many wonderful, thought forgotten, memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bodies have an amazing design don't they? They heal up so fast...

      Delete
  2. I got my ears pierced when I was 8. My friend's mom did it for me in their kitchen. She threaded a needle, put ice on my ear, then put a potato behind it. Then, she stuck the needle through. I went home and showed my mom- who didn't know until then. She was not thrilled. I wore thread in my ears for months until my mom bought me earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Were you brave or what?

      Wearing thread? Hum..how does that work?

      Delete
  3. I remember my mother getting her ears pierced by her sister. We were about 10, so she was in her early thirties, but I remember my grandfather, disgusted, calling her a 'gypsy'. It was the only time I ever saw my mother rebel, or saw her gleam, so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced. I would beg and plead and dad would say "If God wanted you to have holes in your ears, he would have put them there". I kid you not. Finally my teen rebellion (only one by the way), I got mom to say OK, and I went and had them done...16 years old...Dad was not happy for about 2 weeks...Then, I took my mom to get hers done (she was 40!) Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I have to say though, I sorta kinda like..agree with your dad.

      And I have a feeling you kept your parents on your toes didn't you..

      Delete
  5. I never would have gotten my ears pierced if only my Grandma had bought me the candy bar I wanted. My younger sister was getting her ears pierced, as a gift from Grandma and I wanted a gift to. A candy bar sounded right, but Grandma said I could get my ears pierced or nothing.

    I got my ears pierced.

    I haven't worn earrings for the last 14 years. As a grown up, I just stopped. My heart was never really in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I totally agree! Candy bar over holes in my ears! Yes! Absolutely!

      Delete
  6. wow,It really is a Creative design,it's my Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this Earrings is so Beautiful,I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. (And I love hidden, smaller, legalese lettering. It always makes me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Me too...I always find it amusing, and I wonder how many people fall for it..

      Delete
  9. Interesting find and writing exercise! Nice job too - amazing you wrote all that in 60 seconds!

    I remember getting my ears pieced when I was 8 and being very preoccupied by them during our family trip to Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... I did a "couple" more seconds hehe...

      Oh Ireland..! How I envy you!

      Delete
  10. Wow this red colour's earring looking so hot. It really is a Creative design so it's one of the my favorite earring. This red and green colour combination is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom pierced my ears when I was 12. I had repeatedly declined to have them done at the mall, but had a sudden and overwhelming impulse to have them done one evening when I was 12 and somehow convinced my mother to do it herself with a sterilized needle. Probably NOT the brightest moment in either of our histories. I only occasionally wore earrings throughout middle and high school and have worn them almost never since. (A brief phase in my early twenties and once for a friend's wedding is the only time I can think of.) Maybe my aversion to jewelry belongs in my Ways I'm Not a Grown-up series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!

      Oh boy, have I given you blog post material?

      Delete
  12. wow,they really are Creative design,it's my Favorites.:)

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics