May 11, 2012

My First Specs.

 Did you know that while driving down the street, if you look at the trees on the sidewalk (well not on but you know what I mean..right?) you can actually see the tree bark?!

 Did you know that if you look at the people on the sidewalk, you can totally make out their faces, and what their t-shirt says?

 Did you know that this whole wide world is completely beautiful, detailed and in absolutely astounding HIGH DEFINITION?! 

 Oh...you already knew that. I guess I knew too, but I had forgotten. See, apparently it's been a while since slowly but surely, my vision became blurry. I didn't notice it; or perhaps I didn't admit it.

 Yesterday, Victor and I had an eye exam. Daddy had noticed there was something not quite right. First, Victor began complaining to him on Sabbaths, that he couldn't see the text on his PowerPoint presentations. I couldn't either, but I was sure it was because I was tired. My head hurt.

 Then, while skiing a couple of days ago, Daddy noticed that I kept exclaiming,
"I can't see anything! Oh my goodness, this fog is just so so thick! I can't even see the signs!" 
(I'm not even going to go into how dangerous it is to ski while being nearsighted, not knowing it, not being familiar with the ski runs, and on a foggy day. I'm also not going to go into how funny it would not have been if I had skied straight down a black diamond run all the while pondering why the "easy out" run was so incredibly populated by trees. Trust me .. with me, all these things are possible.)

 Back to the Optometrist's.

 I sit on the chair, stare into that little machine thingy, and view the letters on the board. I wait for him to put them into focus. He doesn't. Instead he asks me what I can see. What does he mean "What can you see?" Nothing! You have to focus it first!

 By this point my stomach does a little flop.
"Read me the top line, please." 
"Uh. Um. Uh. ... F. No wait, B." *squints* "That's an E isn't it? Then a Z... R?... O." 
"Mhmm.."
 He flips something or other and... Oh Good Heavens! When was the last time something had been so clear, crisp, sharp!?

"Read the top line again, please."
 "P, S, E, Q, and the second line is, J, L, R, Z."

 The same thing happens with the other eye and then he continues flipping one thing and another and asking which one is best and I'm wiggling in my seat thinking, "That was beautiful! Can I see like that again? Pleaaaase?!"

Victor and I both got out of there with goofy smiles. The world is so clear! So full of intricate details! So colorful, crisp, and beautiful!

Now I must apologize to my camera with whom I had recently been very disappointed in. I could never get her to focus! All the pictures seemed to have lost their sharpness and were always blurry. (Because obviously, the "thing wrong" is never with me.) Poor camera, I've apologized now.

Happy Friday!

15 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. It's totally awesome coming out with new glasses. You see things you've never seen before!! isn't it a blessing to have the option to wear glasses? Many people don't. It's mad expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a blessings, Susi!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy you can see now! My daughter describes her glasses as making everything HD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Then I'm not alone! (:

      Delete
  3. I clearly (hehe) remember that day when we drove home with my new glasses. The thing I noticed was birds in the sky and individual leaves on the trees. A lovely thing to be able to see this beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I noticed the individual leaves too! Before they were just clumps of green, now they're gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the club! I discovered my own nearsightedness when I was 13, but refused to wear my glasses except when driving at night. Unless I was with a boy. In which case I never wanted to wear my glasses. Until someone told me they were sexy. Then I refused to take them off. ;-)

    Contacts at 17, then LASIK at 33 and the world just gets more beautiful every time. I'm so glad you can see clearly now (the rain has gone ...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes! Glasses are sexy ... haven't you seen the Guess eyeglasses commercials?

      Yay for no more "rain"!

      Delete
  5. I was 14 and just thought everyone sitting in the back row of class couldn't really read the board.....my first pair of glasses were truly hideous, but being able to see clearly was BEAUTIFUL!! Now I love my glasses and feel partly undressed without them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing clearly really is amazing! :D

      Yes, I guess we just have to get used to them..

      Delete
  6. I had lasik surgery about 5 years ago. They say that your vision will start to decline after about 5 years of the surgery. My eyes are doing just that. Things are starting to get blurry. They aren't really bad like it was before the surgery, but it is definitely to the point that I notice.

    Glad you have adjusted your vision with spectacles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! :( Will you have to have surgery again?

      Delete
  7. Yay for seeing clearly! Am I the only one wondering where the pictures are???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. .the pictures are up on the Facebook page, Caroline!

      Delete
  8. Wow, so glad you got that sorted out for the both of you! I'm just on the very beginning edge of text starting to blur for me.

    I was totally expecting you to have made a joke and have spelled something out of the capital letters from the eye exam. That would be a very LT thing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics