June 7, 2012

Tough Stuff.


"What was the hardest thing you've been through?" Yeah. That was today's post prompt. I'm not sure I can answer this one, but I'll try.

 I can say that I have been blessed and looking back there isn't one thing that pops out as the toughest thing I've ever been through. My family in general is healthy, alive and well. I have all four grandparents including a great-grandfather. My mother's brother died when I was still a baby, so I can't say that affected me as much as it did my parents. Nobody lives in a sea of roses (which by the way never made any sense to me. I kind of think roses stink and I wouldn't want to swim in their thorns), but I've had it good.  I confess.

 I suppose, if I had to point out a tough time, it'd be when we moved from Texas to Toronto. I couldn't understand the why's; I don't believe I really wanted to understand. I enjoyed self-pity.

 Moves are exciting when they're over, but still to this day I can't say they're particularly fun no matter what I've left behind. It definitely has its upsides, and I don't regret our moves, but I'm supposed to pick something that I've been through that I didn't particularly enjoy. I suppose this would be it. Having all four grandparents, but living so far away. Holding my baby cousins in my arms one visit and watching them head off to first grade the next.

 I'm not complaining, I know I have it easy. It's just never fun to say good-bye and come back to a rainy place with unfamiliar faces and seeds to sow without promise of a harvest.

 But this month we'll be saying hello to our loved ones. I won't dwell on having to say good-bye. That time will come soon enough.

 Funny isn't it? How good-bye is the thing that categorizes most of the tough stuff in life ..

11 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Moves are hard. I have done it a few times and it is never easy. Funny how the "new" place becomes home eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree .. so many homes scattered around ..

      Delete
  2. Too often, we compare our 'hard stuff' to other people's and feel like "I shouldn't complain, I don't have it as bad as....." But, our trials, I believe, are hard because they belong to us. What may seem like nothing to you, is very difficult for me. (Does that make sense?)

    Moving IS hard. We did it a lot when I was growing up. Some of the moves were exciting. Others, dreadful. But, now, looking back, I'm grateful for each one. I learned to be flexible and to make friends. AND, I have great friends from almost every place we lived. (One was just a year, and I've never gone back, so, no ties there.)

    Have so much fun on your trip! And let us know what you think of Alice, I've never read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes perfect sense, Jewels. (:

      I agree, I don't regret moves either they just offer so much to experience and adventure. (:

      I'll do both. (:

      Delete
  3. So true that so many of the tough times in life include good-byes and leaving things.

    I hope you have fun with your family when you see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweet and talented girl. :-)

    I agree...good-byes are the hardest. Especially when it is for good. And I think another thing is admitting there are hardships in a very blessed life. I hate groaning about things too, but I don't think God minds. Moving IS hard and you have shined through the process. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelia! I'm so glad you're back!

      Thank you. (: We will!

      Delete
  5. I would have a very hard time with that too. I am very close to my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I rather it this way .. rather than not getting along with them..

      Delete
  6. Goodbye or the possibility of goodbye does seem to linger around all tough moments. But if we didn't have these moments we wouldn't appreciate the things we have. My toughest moment is loosing my Dad at a young age but if I hadn't lived through that I would never had ended up on the path leading to my husband, which lead to my beautiful babies.

    Tough but leading to the most beautiful moments of my life!

    Treasure your hello's and your family time and like you say the goodbyes come soon enough ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics