August 3, 2012

Brazil VIII - A Vegetarian BBQ

You know how weddings go, even if you're a guest you plan to leave the reception in time to make it back home so you can sleep at a respectable hour.. yeah .. that doesn't happen. So after Sunday's wedding I made it to bed and home (home being Jane's [me cousin!] house) at oh.. 2a.m. ..?

At ten the next morning I felt the aftermath of the late nights and all the wind that had transformed me into a walking popsicle the night before. I was not well. *sigh* That's ok though, because you know what? The whole family was gathering at grandma's place for a BBQ. The whole family. Both sets of grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins big and small, just about everyone. Sleeping the cold off? Impossible. Mostly because I didn't want to anyway. Me? Miss out on a BBQ? .. Uh .. no.

Brazil is known for many things, one of those things being its fabulous food. As vegetarians some people think our choices are limited. Let me be the first (or hundredth) to tell you, that statement couldn't be further from the truth. We're not even left out from BBQ's. We make our own. Except we BBQ gluten. It's composed of water and wheat flour and a whole lot of kneading. 


Preparing the bbq sticks to send outside for the boys to layer in sauce and ..well .. bbq them.


Potato salad.


Washing the dishes to unclutter the kitchen work area..


Making a last minute cake...


Playing ball to get the boys out of the house..


All covered up in homemade sauce. 


Cover them all up in sauce now!


Everyone's already here, and some are on their way. 

Come and get it!


And night draws near, bringing cold winds and sleepiness.


 So we wrap ourselves up .. and wait. 


Oh amazing yumminess!

Aunt Marianna, Mommy's cousin Nadia, her mother Aunt Theresa.
They're adorable. 


Bringing a handful in... 


Two steps later and everything's gone. 


So I only have photos of the veggie goodness before being bb-qued because they were all gone in a blink of an eye.. It was a wonderful day filled with lots and lots of good food and family. I miss these days the most.. the laughter echoing from all sides of the house and yard, the noise, the bumping into people in the hall, the giving up on keeping track which cup is yours, the familiar chaos that is family... 

6 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. The gluten pieces looks like meat in the picture! Looks like it was a fun family time : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should learn to stop reading your posts before I eat... your food photos always make my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha ... I'm taking that as a good sign!

      Delete
  3. Looks awesome. Both sets of grandparents in one place? That's REALLY special. xo

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics