December 26, 2012

Brazilian Queens and Winter Breaks.

I. am. swamped. 

 Break so far has been made up of lots of cleaning, being dad's secretary while he's traveling.. (taking phone calls, making phones calls, translating articles and letters, extremely fun stuff), cleaning, putting my new bed together (seriously! who are those manuals made for? An Asian Hulk? Smart and super strong? Because that thing has taken me two days and I'm still waiting for dad to get here to figure some things out...Oh.. and I've probably broken a piece beyond repair already.. not my fault! I'm not an Asian Hulk) and cleaning, baking cookies! cleaning and a couple of things. Have I mentioned cleaning? Yeah.. 

 See, Brazilian moms are the queens! of cleaning. They clean everything everywhere and please! get that whole "Windex spray and yellow gloves" scenario out of your mind. Cleaning for Brazilian moms means "get down on your knees and wipe that thing clean from top to bottom with a bucket of water and various cleaning products and a wet cloth" type thing. It has to squeak clean. The windows will blind the neighbors type clean. You will break your back and skin your knees type clean. They enjoy this backbreaking labour. They take pride in their scoured stainless steel pans and shiny pots and stainless glasses and the house smells clean. 

 So it only stands to reason that the first thing my mother set out to do in our new home was... clean it from top to bottom. Thing is, the elderly lady who lived here.. probably never knew you could reach inside that cabinet and give it a good scrubbing.. she probably never knew that the workshop or the toolroom in the garage could be mopped, or that the deck might need its windows cleaned from inside and out... my mother does. The carpet will be vacuumed fifty times to get all the cat hair gone. gone. gone. The wooden floor will be varnished. The tulips will be planted. And oh so many hundreds of other things will be done. And you know what the best part is? I'm on break. I get to help! I admit it's exciting and I love this about her because I'm pretty proud of the house's customary cleanliness too. 

 Right now, however, it seems like we clean and organize and move stuff and get rid of boxes... but it never ends! There's still dust, there are still windows to wash and boxes to unpack and things to find places for.... Everyday something new and unexpected shows up and the plan you had to put the basement to rights or to finally find a place for that box just goes out the window...! *sigh*

 It's still a very happy exhaustion ..but I can't wait 'til things are put in their place and we can all breathe a bit easier... People say it takes six months.. I'm crossing my fingers for two weeks... 

 How long did it take you to settle into your home?

11 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. When we moved from NY to GA this past June is was rough packing and cleaning 15 years worth of stuff from our tiny apartment and storage. Roughly 6 months later we have settled in nicely.. but i confess there are somethings still in boxes in a spare room. It was hard but so worth it.
    I wish you the best and many blessing to your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! We'll get there! haha..

      Thanks Alma!

      Delete
  2. Moving is definitely a busy season of life! When my husband was about to move into the home where we live now, I got a whole team of my little cousins together and we went and scrubbed up the house pretty good! But I do get a little lazy sometimes... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD IDEA! Wish my cousins were around to help!

      Delete
  3. You made me smile and think about my step mom. She was a clean freak. Part of it was because she had terrible vision (legally blind). But she could sense a dust mote at 100 paces. Drove me crazy when I was visiting, but now I miss it. (She passed away from breast cancer 2 years ago). Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have fond memories... (:

      Delete
  4. Dear Larissa,
    Sounds like you guys have a great cleaning and organizing system. Mine is not so hot. Two years later, and I still have boxes and boxes of stuff sitting in the garage. Probably, I should just donate it. Hope you get some down time too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angelia! I confess it's a lot of fun.. (:

      Delete
  5. Happy Holidays to you, I hope you have a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey can you send your mom over here? I live in a very dirt filled place with a ton of wind so my little space needs a top to bottom and I suck at it! But I plan to try once I unload some possessions.

    Happy holidays Larissa! You are a doll for helping your dad out.

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics