May 13, 2013

Mother's Day, Ceramics and Sharpies.

Mother's Day at our house was spent with a big breakfast and an even bigger lunch. After we had a family breakfast, I had invited some girls from school to come over for lunch. They are from Brazil and couldn't spend Mother's Day with their own mothers so we invited them to spend it here with us. It was lovely to have them over and we enjoyed the company. Mother and I made so much food, and it was gone in a blink of an eye. It was wonderful. 

Now for mother's gift. My mother is a stay at home mother who homeschools the kid. What I'm trying to say is it's pretty complicated to hide a gift from her especially if you want to make the gift yourself. I did. Some time ago I had seen this DIY on Pinterest. The one where you personalize a ceramic mug with a Sharpie. So I looked it up and apparently you can do that!

So I bought a ceramic plate and mug set and Sharpies. Then with a pencil I wrote what I wanted to write, (Mother had said she wanted a poem for Mother's Day, so I wrote her a haiku on the plate corners) and drew her tulips. Then I baked both plate and mug in the oven for 30 min. at 350ยบ. Boom. It worked! As long as you don't use the rough part of your sponge or scrubber thingy for dishes.. it stays. Wash and dry and it stays! :)

Mother loved it and asked if I had had someone write it, and it was nice to say I did it myself. :) I think for the first time we were able to get her a gift without her realizing something was up. May 2013 has had a good start... now for the Kid's birthday in a couple of weeks! 

What did you do for Mother's Day?

18 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. My mom is retired and doesn't spend too much time keeping up with the calendar. So I wasn't surprised when I called her yesterday and said "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY" and she responded "Oh, is it mother's day???". The woman would miss all the important dates is I wasn't around to tell her! :)

    I love your gift idea! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha.. well I'm sure she is glad you call and remember. :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That's lovely, Larissa! What a great gift. I've often wondered if those Pin-ideas really worked. I'm glad to know it does... now I've some holiday ideas brewing around. Your mom sounds very special. And what you did for those girls without local Moms was simply... touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does.. I think though, that it's best to dry it right after you wash it.. because if you let it air dry then the marker might come off with the water.

      Delete
  3. The best mother's day presents are always handmade. I think I may well be stealing this idea for future reference!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sleepy Joe! Please do and enjoy. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello there!

    Just found your blog on passionfruit ads marketplace. I LOVE it and I'm the newest follower via GFC now :)

    Looking forward to read more!

    xoxo
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni! So nice to have you! :)

      Delete
  5. Such a special gift for your mom! I love it. I am sure she will love her tea/and treats using them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really enjoyed them . :) Thanks Winnie.

      Delete
  6. This is so cute!! Will make one for my own mom next year. "There once was a girl from Nantucket...."

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love it!! And I've always wanted to create this! Found you form the blog hop! Happy Wednesday!

    Alyssa
    you can find me here: http://www.alyssadawsonblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually lots of fun! Thanks for coming by! :D

      Delete
  8. Cool idea, it came out so nice, and I love the haiku!

    We had a nice lazy day and I cooked a easy dinner : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, and that sounds perfect. :)

      Delete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics