June 1, 2013

Praise You In This Storm.



     I oftentimes talk about how much (or simply how) it rains here in Abbotsford. According to online statistics, Abbotsford is one of Canada's rainiest cities. It gets approximately 171 days of rain per year for a total of 1,573 mm of precipitation. Most of this precipitation is drizzle. When we first moved to Abbotsford I began to miss thunderstorms. I grew up on a Texan prairie and was used to
drastic weather moods. When it rains in Texas, it really rains. Here in Abbotsford, however, it took over two years of living here before I had my first experience with Abbotsford's rain with thunder and lightening. I had come to the conclusion that thunderstorms simply did not exist here. I admit I am guilty of recording the sound of the thunder storms when we would visit Brazil so that if I really missed it I would have something to listen to and remember. When we finally did experience a storm here in Abbotsford, it was a special event here at home. We turned off all the lights here at home and spoke in whispers in order to hear the thunder. I had missed it so. The thunder crashed, the lightening flashed, the rain beat on the roof and parts of the backyard began to come together as one big puddle. 

     By the time the storm had passed it was late evening and there was such a calm in the air! The birds began to chirp so loudly and their songs seemed so much sweeter than usual. Maybe it was that I appreciated it more now, I don't know. What I do know is that it got me thinking about how true it is that many times our blessings become very much more obvious after our trials. While some Christians believe it is their Christian duty to be miserable, others believe that if they are true Christians they will forever be happy and that if somehow they are sad, then it is because they are not fulfilling their role as Christians. 

     The truth is, however, that Christ never promised us His children would forever be happy. We live in a world of consequences, and just like human parents can only advise their children on making the choices that will have the best consequences, our heavenly Parent can only guide us and offer us commandments to lead us to the best results. This is why He asks us to obey and trust Him. He can see where each choice will take us and He wants the best for us so He gives us suggestions on what steps to take. Again like human parents, God does not promise that we will never have tragedies in our lives, He can only promise to be there for us when these tragedies do occur. Sometimes it takes a storm to make us shift things into perspective. Sometimes it takes a storm to make us appreciate and remember the sweet things in life. Sometimes we have to praise Him in the storm.


4 Wonderful people made my day!:

  1. Oh, Larissa! This is beautifully written! What a wonderful analogy. I, too, miss thunderstorms and we're teased with them for only a few minutes each summer. I should record ours next time, like you did! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely analogy, I enjoy the thunderstorms here on The Prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just experienced a Texas thunderstorm last night! Full of thunder and lightening and so much rain!! We have been in a drought for the last few years so I am hopeful that all this rain may pull us out of that. Where did you live in Texas?

    Also, thank you for the wonderful reminder of a great song and truth. Sometimes we have days that overwhelm us and we just need to cling to His hand. I've had a few of those lately. But no matter what, he is always faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larissa, I felt the same way about Abbotsford when our family moved there in 2010. The dreary drizzle seemed to linger in the air. It's so funny that you mentioned it because I would tell everyone, "I just wish it would DUMP down already!" I, too, longed for the refreshing scent after a good downpour. We moved back to the prairies of Manitoba where I am from originally in September 2012 and after 15 years in BC,I can hardly wait for a REAL thunderstorm again.

    And I love the connection you made btw. I am so much more thankful of the calm after I've experienced a stormy season of life. Beautiful Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a Comment!

Web Analytics