These are coconut rolls, but they have a special surprise inside.
Inside the individual rolls there are pieces of guava paste.
If you're not familiar with guava paste, it is basically sweetened guava pulp.
It is super sweet with a mild guava flavor, and is super delicious.
It's not hard to find, many ethnic stores carry them and, according to their website, so does Walmart.
You can eat it as a snack paired with crackers or even to step up your toast with butter.
Or, you can put it in these coconut rolls.
Ready to begin?
Coconut Rolls with Guava Filling
1 c. warm lukewarm water
1 Tbsp (shallow) yeast
1 tsp orange or lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp cornmeal
2 c. flour
About 1/2 bar of guava filling
1 c. Sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 c. oil
1. In a medium-sized bowl add all ingredients except the flour.
2. Mix well and add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, waiting for one addition to be incorporated before adding the other, until a soft dough is formed.
3. Separate the dough into 3 even parts. Round each part into a ball, and place it back in the bowl.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or even put the bowl in a plastic bag and close it.
5. Let dough rise for approximately 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
6. While the dough rises cut the guava paste into little squares of approximately one inch.
7. Prepare the topping by adding the oil into a small bowl.
8. When the dough has risen, separate each of the three dough parts into 15 smaller pieces for a total of 45 small rolls.
9. In the center of each small dough piece add a guava paste square and roll in the palm of your hand to form a roll. Pinch the ends of the dough together so the guava doesn't escape while baking.
10. Lightly brush the rolls with oil only enough so the coconut will stick to them.
11. Roll the rolls in the shredded coconut and place in a baking sheet dusted with flour.
12. Set the rolls aside to rise for approximately 10 minutes while the oven preheats to 350º.
13. Put the rolls in the oven and immediately lower the temperature to 300º.
14. Bake for approximately 20-25minutes or until the tops begin to golden.
Serve with tea, enjoy and comment!
Have you had guava paste before? What did you think?